Personal Injury

People who have been injured in an automobile or trucking accident trust the legal representation at the Guerrero Law Office to help them recover for their personal injury, even in cases involving uninsured motorists. Established in 1989, the Guerrero Law Office has been helping clients throughout the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex get a fair deal from the insurance company, whether it involves negotiations or litigation with the defendant’s insurer or the injured party’s own carrier.

The Need for Liability Insurance

Texas law requires drivers to carry proof of financial responsibility that shows they will be able to pay for damages they may cause in a motor vehicle accident. Most drivers purchase liability insurance to meet this obligation. The minimum liability amounts required by law are 30/60/25. This means that the driver must carry enough insurance to cover up to $30,000 for personal injury to one person, up to $60,000 if more than one person is injured, and $25,000 to cover property damage. Despite this state law, however, many people continue to drive without adequate insurance.

Uninsured Motorists

According to the Texas Department of Insurance, about 4 million vehicles on the road are uninsured. That’s one out of every five cars on Texas roads at any given time. What happens if you are hit by an uninsured motorist? If you have Uninsured Motorist/Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM) coverage, your insurance company will cover your losses, up to the amount of UM/UIM you have purchased. Similarly, if the other driver has insurance but not enough to cover your expenses, your UIM coverage will pay the difference, assuming that your UIM policy limits are higher than the other driver’s liability coverage. Insurance companies are required by law to offer UM/UIM when insuring you. If you are declining this coverage, you must formally reject it in writing.

If you are struck by an uninsured motorist and are not carrying UM insurance, you may still be able to obtain a judgment against the negligent party through legal action. However, it can be difficult to collect a judgment from a defendant who has little or no assets. Given the number of uninsured drivers on the road and the low minimum liability limits, it is often a wise choice to add UM/UIM coverage to your policy and to purchase as much as you can reasonably afford, at least as much as the liability amounts you are carrying.

Personal Injury Protection

In addition to UM/UIM, your insurance company must also offer Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage. In the event of an accident, PIP coverage will provide you with payment for your medical bills, as well as 80 percent of lost wages from work missed due to your injuries. Your insurance company is required to offer you at least $2,500 of PIP protection. Like UM/UIM, PIP must be rejected in writing if you do not want it.

Seek Experienced Legal Representation

If you have been injured in accident, contact our office as soon as possible. We will investigate and identify who is responsible and determine what sources should be pursued to make sure you are fully compensated for your injuries. Contact the Guerrero Law Office today for a free consultation with an experienced and caring personal injury attorney.

Personal injury is a legal term for an injury to the body, mind or emotions, as opposed to an injury to property. Have you been injured due to someone else’s negligence? Call us now to evaluate your case.